What is my role as an ID Checker?

As an ID Checker, you have the responsibility to ensure that the documentation your candidates provide is correct. This includes ensuring the name, gender, date of birth and address on the documentation and the application match.

You must also ensure that the documents belong to the applicant, by checking the original documents are a likeness to the applicant. You should compare the documents to the applicant in person.  If you have concerns regarding the documents you are being provided, ask your applicant to clarify, or contact us for advice.

Once you are happy with the documentation, please enter it onto the eBulk system.

Guides for Hosted DBS clients

Below are a selection of guides for our hosted DBS clients. Please click the icons to download.

Guides for Basic DBS & disclosure Scotland

Basic Applicant Manager Guide

Basic Applicant Manager Guide

Basic ID Checker Guide

Basic ID Checker Guide

Basic Counter- signatory Guide

Basic Counter- signatory Guide

Basic Applicant Guide

Basic Applicant Guide

Basic Primary Applicant Manager Guide

Basic Primary Applicant Manager Guide

Basic DS Applicant Guide

Basic DS Applicant Guide

Basic DS ID Checker Guide

Basic DS ID Checker Guide

Guides for Standard / Enhanced

DBS Applicant Manager Guide

DBS Applicant Manager Guide

DBS Counter-signatory Guide

DBS Counter-signatory Guide

DBS Applicant Guide

DBS Applicant Guide

DBS Primary Applicant Manager Guide

DBS Primary Applicant Manager Guide

DBS ID Checker Guide

DBS ID Checker Guide


Can I check my own or a family member’s ID?

No. In order to ensure that a ID Check is completed correctly, you cannot complete the ID Check section for your own application or that of a family member.

If you have another unrelated member of staff who can complete the check, please contact us and we can give them access to the eBulk system.

If you have a family run business and there is no other members of staff who can complete an ID check, please contact us for further advice.  

How do I submit a DBS check for nursery workers?

If you are a nursery manager, director or chairperson completing a DBS check for yourself, please visit www.ofsteddbsapplication.co.uk/welcome for more information.

If you are completing an application for a member of staff, we have a number of guides below.

Acceptable ID

Applicant Guide

ID Checker Guidance

Applicant Manager

Primary Applicant Manager

Should host families for exchange students be DBS checked?

If your school or college offer foreign exchange programs, it is important to ensure that the host families have a DBS check. Any adult living in the household, be it a parent or sibling of your student or a lodger, should have a DBS check if they will be taking care of the children, supervise them, drive them to school or any other venue, or help them with dressing, washing, eating or drinking.

Under UK law this should be an Enhanced DBS check with the Child Barring list, done via the school or educational body.

How do I run a report in eBulk?

As long as you have sufficient user access, you can run reports within eBulk and download them as either excel documents or pdf files.

To do this, log into the Manage Application portal with your normal details and select “Reports” on the dark ribbon across the top of the eBulk page. This will open a page with some pre-set reports you can access and customise slightly before you download.

If you want to create a new report, then you can click “Custom Report” and this will open a new page with various options which you can then download.

What is a PVG check?

A PVG (Protecting Vulnerable Groups) Check is a criminal record check within Scotland and checks those who are in regulated work with a Vulnerable group such as children or protected adults. Once someone has joined the PVG scheme they are continuously checked to ensure they are suitable for work with Vulnerable groups.

New membership can be obtained through Security Watchdog and we can also assist existing members in obtaining an updated certificate.

I haven’t received my certificate. How do I get a new one?

If you haven’t received your DBS certificate and it has been less than 3 months since it was issued, you can contact the DBS directly to ask for a re-print. To do this, you can call them on 03000 200 190 or email DBSReprints@dbs.gsi.gov.uk

If it has been more than 3 months since the application was completed, then you may have to make a new application through your employer.

I am self-employed, how to I make an application?

To make a Basic DBS application, please visit: https://www.securitywatchdog.org.uk/basic-criminal-record-checks-for-individuals/

Anyone can make a Basic DBS application but unfortunately a self-employed individual (a sole trader) can not make an application for a Standard or Enhanced DBS check. If you are working with children as a childminder or nanny, you can make an application via Ofsted.

However, if you are working in any other sector you may need to do your check through a different body such as a local authority.  Please contact us if you have any questions and well.

Can I have a paper application form?

The eBulk service allows applicants to make an application online from their computer, and is a quicker, cheaper more effective service. We would recommend using the eBulk service above the paper application process and only accept paper application forms in certain circumstances. This includes:

  • A Welsh language application

  • A fingerprint application form where the candidate can not prove their identity through documentation

  • An application for a transgendered applicant who does not want their previous name to appear on their certificate

If you require further advice, or would like to order a paper application form pack, please contact us at dbs.enquiries@capita.co.uk

What does the DBS consider an at-risk adult?

For the purposes of the DBS adults who may be included in a vulnerable group may be people aged 18 and over who:

  • have needs because of their age;

  • have any form of disability;

  • have any physical or mental health concerns;

  • live in residential accommodation or sheltered housing;

  • receive domiciliary care;

  • receive any form of healthcare;

  • are detained in lawful custody;

  • are on probation;

  • receive welfare services, or

  • require assistance in the conduct of their own affairs.

How do I make a DLCU application?

You can use Security Watchdog to apply for a DBS check in support of your application for a Controlled Drug domestic licence, Precursor Chemical Category 1 licence or Category 2 and 3 registrations.

The Drug Licensing and Compliance Unit (DLCU) have contracted Security Watchdog, to assist you in obtaining your DBS check.

There are 3 stages of the application process which must be followed:

Stage One: Online Application

Please complete your online DBS application by using the link below and clicking ‘Start Application’ in the orange box.


You will be asked to enter the following information:

Organisation Reference:          DLCU

Organisation Code:                 licence

The application form is a simple 5-page process.  Please follow the on-screen instructions and complete all the fields provided. Mandatory fields are denoted by (*)

Stage Two: Payment

At the point of entering your application online you will be prompted to make this payment online via our secure Sagepay system. The total cost of your application will be £60.09. This includes the cost of the DBS Disclosure and Security Watchdog’s administration fee.

Failure to make payment will result in your application not being submitted.

Stage Three: Identification Verification

In line with the DBS Code of Practice all applicants requiring a DBS check must have their identity verified.

You will need to use the Post Office Document Certification Service which allows you have your identification documentation verified checked. The Post Office charge over the counter to use this service.

Please check which Post Offices offer the Document Certification Service by going to http://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder. Once selected, look under the Identity & Licenses section and tick Document Certification Service.

You will need to take:

  • Three items of original ID to the Post Office

  • A good quality colour photocopy of each document

The Post Office will check your original documents against your photocopies and certify each copy as a true likeness of the original.

Once the Post Office verify your documents, please email them to us at dbs.enquiries@capita.co.uk using the subject DLCU Application. Please include your contact email address, telephone number and reference number from your online application. This should appear as a string of numbers, the first four letters of your surname, and another string of numbers. For example 123ABCD12345.

If you require further advice or information, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01420 558 752.

What is Regulated Activity with Adults?

The following is a brief guide to what would constitute regulated activity but is not an exhaustive list. If you have any queries, please contact us directly. 

An adult is defined as a person aged 18 years or over, and Regulated Activities are those which are required by the adult. Regulated Activity does not include activities carried out by family or friends or by peer groups such as colleagues.

  • Help with eating or drinking due to illness or disability (Help can be physically assisting an adult, or teaching or encouraging them to do an activity on their own)

  • Help with toileting, washing, bathing or dressing (Help can be physically assisting an adult, or teaching or encouraging them to do an activity on their own)

  • All forms of health care relating to physical or mental health provided or supervised by a healthcare professional. 

  • Providing social work

  • Assisting with general household matters, e.g. managing cash and paying bills on someone’s behalf, assisting with shopping, required due to their age, illness or disability. 

  • Assistance in the conduct of a person’s own affairs, e.g. power of attorney or advocacy services.

  • Conveying an adult to and from health care, personal care or social care appointments, required due to their age, illness or disability. 

A person managing, on a day to day basis, someone who is performing a regulated activity with adult would also be in regulated activity themselves and require the same level of DBS check.

I work in a College / Sixth Form, or in an adult education college. Do I need a DBS check?

If you work for a further education establishment that works with children from the age of 16 upwards (Year 12 and 13 for example) you will require an Enhanced DBS with a child barring list check, even if some of your learners are over 18.

If you work in a SEN College, and provide your adult learners with personal or health care, you may also require the adult barring list.

What check to people working in the foster system need?

People working in a regulated activity with children in a children’s home before placement with a fostering family will require an Enhanced DBS check with the child barring list check.

If you work for an adopting service, a foster agency or a similar organisation or local authority and have access to sensitive or personal information about children, but do not directly work with children or do not work in a Regulated activity, you are eligible for a Standard DBS check.

If you are a Foster Panel Member, you will need a Standard DBS check if you have access to personal or sensitive information about children. If, as part of your duties, you will be alone with a child or giving a child advice or guidance on their well-being, you will require an Enhanced DBS check with the child barring list. This is because giving a child advice or guidance is a Regulated activity.

What sort of check to contractors require?

Occasional or temporary contract work, such as general maintenance, is not a regulated activity. This includes work done by builders, electricians, architects etc. who work on school sites, but only on occasional or temporary contracts. These sorts of contractors are eligible for an Enhanced check without the children’s barred list, provided there is still opportunity for contact with children.

However, a handyman or caretaker working at a school, employed by the school on a permanent basis would need an Enhanced DBS check with the barring list check.